Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Modernity?

An unsaintly hour tiptoeing
High
Above folksy heads
Humanity discarded
True friendship banished
Exotic options on every table
Faked sophistication
Meaningless busyness
Depravity
Vanity
Twisted motives
Cheated trust
Pretence all around
Empty smiles
Grip and grin
We crave company
In this belly of loneliness
We cry out for purpose
In this sea of mundanity
We thirst for community
Lost in our own alienation
Multitudes in maddening rush
For the very empty dreams
For which many have sold their souls
I see many standing
At obtuse attention
To the modern anthem
As they push headlong
To the place of slaughter
Bewildered dreamers
Meandering adventurers
Floating in unfamiliar spaces
Lost in the modern wilderness
Wondering aloud
We have arrived and yet we feel so lost
We have evolved and yet so unfulfilled

6 comments:

Myne said...

I wonder at the so called modernity and civilization. Are we truly civilized? Nice write up.

Have a nice week and don't forget to vote on my blog.

The Author said...

So aptly reminds me of a saying I've read somewhere about us all being manic depressives going through each day thinking life is a rat race. Hmm.

posekyere said...

Thanks MW!
Yes. The heart condition cannot evolve without God's redemption.
I have voted on your blog already.

posekyere said...

Yes, NY.
For some time now I have been watching the 'living' around me and I now have more questions than answers.
I guess we are not really different in behaviour to a group of helpless rats in a laboratory somewhere.

velvet said...

the poem describes the modern world so well. nice work

posekyere said...

Thanks sunnyside.
Well appreciated.